Monday, August 9, 2010

David’s Prayer (I Chronicles 29:10-20)

Far more significant than the prayer of Jabez recorded in I Chronicles 4:9-10, which was a prayer primarily focused on Jabez’s own circumstances and life, are the words of David’s prayer, which appears later in the same book. David’s prayer is recorded in much more detail. He begins by praising God, acknowledging who God is (10-13), recognizing who we are (14-16), and then our relationship of dependence upon God (17). Then David prays for God’s direction in the heart of the nation (18).

The most significant part of this prayer, however, is David’s prayer for his son Solomon, who is to become King (19). “Give to my son Solomon a perfect heart to keep Your commandments, Your testimonies and Your statutes, and to do them all, and to build the temple, for which I have made provision.”

What a beautiful picture of a father praying for a son. Give him a perfect heart 1) to follow your law with various picture phrases for the term and 2) to build the temple, for which I have made provision. How I long to lay a foundation that my son can build upon. How I long to gather the building materials, so that my son can build the temple of God. How I long for my life to be counted worthy to be built upon into something far greater than myself. That was David’s prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment