Sunday, September 19, 2010

Obedience and Subjection to Authority

We, as adults, do not tend to obey traffic laws.  I cannot tell you how many times I've prepared to cross the street, waiting on the "Walk" sign, when a crowd of people stroll right through the "Don't Walk" sign.  Rules are for other people.  We have the ability to look both ways and take care of ourselves, so we don't need to follow the rules.  Consider the speed limit (or suggestion), the yield sign, the red lights, etc.

Why is it that we as a nation expect our children to obey us, their teachers, or other authority figures? 

God says, "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities.  For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God," Romans 13:1.

Am I living in obedience to God's commands?

2 comments:

  1. Good one. It's a constant struggle to obey the "little laws" of the land. I am always amazed when friends get tickets for speeding, and are livid, saying something like, "I wasn't speeding! I was only going 63 in a 60!"

    The seat belt law is one I've struggled with for quite some time. First of all, I don't think it's constitutional - but that's another argument. The fact is, it is a law. And it does not conflict with God's law or character, so I really have no justified reason to disobey it. When I don't wear my seat belt, I am not being submissive to God's instituted authority over me, and therefore, I dishonor my God. Many people see this as a stretch, but I see it as inescapable.

    We do the same thing with sin. Just last week in Sunday School, we found that most of us justify sin as being something "we couldn't help." Things like cussing when we slam a finger in the car door, or loosing our cool when people cut in front of us on the highway. There is no excuse. It is sin, and we must repent.

    Great subject here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This part of what you said is very critical, and I left that out in my overly simplistic blog.
    "And it does not conflict with God's law or character..."
    [The rest of what you said is good too.]

    ReplyDelete