Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What Keeps You up at Night?

Recently, I was engaged (as I am twice a year) in chess games.  I was engrossed in game after game trying to master tactics and strategies to capture the opponent's pieces and ultimately entrap his/her king. 

After a particular evening of play, I found myself obsessed with one specific game where I had misplayed a certain move - not by accident but by poor forethought.  The result of my move, was that I lost a pawn, and ultimately I lost the game for this very same poor move.  The loss of a pawn is what kept me up that night.

Perhaps you are thinking, "Seriously!?!, a lost pawn is what keeps you awake at night?"  It certainly seems trivial as I type it out.  Sleepless for pawns.  Luke 15 records for us a parable of a shepherd with 100 sheep, but when 1 was lost, he left the 99 to seek the 1. 

Now, I know that God does not sleep (Psalm 121:3), but if He did, what would keep Him awake at night would be the lost pawns on His chessboard. 

I do not mean to imply that God would have had poor forethought, nor that He would be anxious for their safety since He is in control of all things.  I am merely stating that the things that are of concern to God are far more significant than a silly game.  Why is it that I am not sleepless for the lost pawns on God's chessboard rather than for the inanimate pawns on a silly gameboard?  Am I moved by the things of God?  Am I concerned for the eternal, or am I consumed by the ephemeral?

No comments:

Post a Comment